Wednesday 20 February 2013

Respect


Scripture Reading: Phillipians 2:1-4

Main Verse:  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves Phillipians 2:2 (NIV)

Today on the news I saw where the Jamaican Prime Minister and the leader of the opposition were demanding respect from each other in Parliament. I  thought to myself, why do we demand respect before first showing respect.

Ladies, I was taught that respect is earned. Therefore, before we can gain respect, we must be able to show respect for others regardless of their class, colour or creed.

Albert Einstein once said “I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.” This is something I believe we should all strive to do, but how many of us can say we do this?

Often times, respect is granted based on your position in society or a certain organization. The main scripture today tells us that we should think of others more superior than ourselves.  This scripture does not suggest that we should only respect the Pastor, the Prime Minister or someone we hold in high esteem because of their position. It suggest that we should esteem everyone higher than ourselves this includes the man who is begging on the street, the boy who wipes our windscreen and the lady who cleans the office.

I will share a little story; there is a man who sells donuts at the stoplight, whenever  I’m at the stoplight he would put his donuts to my window asking me to buy and I would talk to him a little, most times just  to say I have no money or I can’t buy it today. One day he said to me, “Lady I always admire you, keep on talking to people like you talk to people.” I have never bought a donut from him. I didn’t even know I had on impact on him just by simply acknowledging him.

Ladies, very important too is showing respect to our youths. As mothers, sisters and caregivers of this earth, we need to respect the youths. Confucius said, A youth is to be regarded with respect. How do you know that his future will not be equal to our present?"  Many times because they are younger than us, we don’t value their opinions, we don’t respect their space and we don’t even take time out to listen to them. Well, they have perspectives, thoughts and opinions too. They are simply a miniature of us. The bible tells us that they are our heritage (legacy, birthright, inheritance), they should be cherished.

Another set of people we often disrespect and disregard are our elders however, they are the storehouse of wisdom and we should seek to learn from them.

Last but most importantly women, we need to respect ourselves. If we don’t respect ourselves first, then no one will respect us. When you respect yourself this will be evident in your attire, your attitude and even the persons you associate with.

Let’s Pray:

Almighty God, thank you for preserving us another day. As we go through today, we pray that you will help us to respect ourselves and others.  Help us to cherish our children and to respect our elders. In Jesus name.

Amen

Have a God Filled Day

2 comments:

  1. Insightful commentary, Peta Gayle. I think Philippians 2: 1-4 could be applicable here as well.

    ReplyDelete