Thursday 29 August 2013

Peace


Main Scripture:  May the Lord of peace himself always give you his peace no matter what happens. The Lord be with you all. 2 Thess 3: 16

Song of Meditation: It is Well With My Soul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6NMlFoaESM)

It is well With My Soul
When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to know,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain:
It is well, (it is well),
With my soul, (with my soul)
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
This hymn was written after traumatic events in hymnist Horation Spafford’s life. The first was the 1871 Great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago which was decimated by the great fire). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873 at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havre. In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone . . .". Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul

Most of us might be going through some hard times with school reopening, the economic times being so hard, loved ones dying, the looming war in Syria, it truly a difficult time to live and not be depressed, sad or worried over something. However, we are assured by the words of the Bible that God will give us peace during these times of trials and sorrows (John 16:33). Just like he inspired Stafford when he was going through a period of hard time, so too will he comfort us and give us peace. Here are some scriptures of reassurance:

·         The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. Psalms 29:11
·         Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble Psalms 119:165
·          You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3
·         LORD, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us. Isaiah 26:12
·         Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
·         Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil:4:6-7

Ladies today I encourage you to focus and meditate on the words of this song as well as these scriptures. Pray and ask God to give you his peace. If you magnify God in these times your problems will become minute. May the Prince of Peace give you peace in your times of sorrow.

Have A God Filled Day Ladies

Let’s Pray,
So I pray that God, who gives you hope, will keep you happy and full of peace as you believe in him. May you overflow with hope through the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
In Jesus Name

Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment